Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, January 23, 2015

THM Shrimp and Rice

Agh... My from couch to half a marathon challenge has become more of a from couch to bed thing... My girls and I have the respiratory flu... and it hasn't been fun... chills, fever, coughing... the whole deal! It's been a nightmarish week... I can't wait to get back at it! But for now I thought I would share a recipe with all of you, since I've abandoned my blog as well...  hopefully it gets my mind off of things...

So... here it is... a very easy and delicious recipe...

Shrimp and "Rice"
THM - "S", Low Carb.

 


Ingredients:

For the rice:

  • 1 big head of cauliflower (or two smaller ones) - cooked (steamed) until "slightly aldente" (they should be cooked through but not mushy) - preferably do this a day ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight so it dries up even more, this is optional -
  • Coconut Oil (about 2 tbsp.) or 1/2 stick of grass-fed butter 
  • 1/2 small white onion (chopped)
  • 1 big (or 2 small) cloves of garlic (finely chopped or even grated )
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (or you can use half yellow/half red to add more color)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro

For the shrimp:

  • 1 lb. raw small clean shrimp (you can use it already shelled or with the shell on, shell removed is best because the shrimp will keep all the flavor in its meat) - you can buy it even frozen, just make sure it is thawed by the time you're about to cook it -
  • olive oil (about 2 tbsp.)
  • the zest of 1 big lime (or lemon)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chili powder (to taste, I used about a tablespoon)


Directions:

- Turn on the broiler (so it gets pretty hot)

Now, let's make this!

  1. In your Food Processor pulse the cauliflower until it's in "rice" size (don't over process or you'll get puree)
  2. Heat a large skillet (on med-high) and add the Coconut Oil or grass-fed butter (or a combination of both) -don't let the butter brown- , when your oil is hot add the onions and green bell peppers until the onions are translucent, add the garlic and "rice" and gently stir with a Wooden Spoon until it's all incorporated and the cauliflower gets a slight golden color. Season with salt and pepper, turn off the heat and set aside.
  3. Line a large baking sheet (I use my jelly roll pan) with aluminum foil, place the clean shrimp on it and drizzle with the oil, add the rest of the ingredients and toss with your hands so the shrimp is all evenly coated.
  4. Place the shrimp in the broiler and cook for 5 minutes.
  5. While the shrimp is cooking sprinkle your rice with the chopped cilantro, serve on individual plates (it should still be hot), get the shrimp out, serve over the rice (in equal portions) add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon, season with a bit more salt (if necessary) and sprinkle with more cilantro if desired. I even added a bit of chopped tomato and it was yummy, if you want to go all out you can add some slices of avocado on the side.
Enjoy!!! Let me know if you enjoy this recipe.

© Paloma K.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliated links

2 comments:

Teresia said...

Like they say over to the East of me in Louisiana--"EWWW-WEEE! Dat luks GUUD!" I have been wanting a recipe like this, my husband LOVES shrimp. Thanks again, Paloma!

Paloma said...

Thanks Teresia... I hope you both enjoy it!