Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 perceived by a Mexican



I don't know how my brain even missed that today is September 11 when I posted the previous entry! I guess I wanted to somehow block it out although I know I will always remember... and even when I was a young teacher (22) and living in Mexico when it happened... I know exactly what I was doing... such horrifying acts shook the entire world not just the United States... In my case I was in school teaching some teenage girls (I used to teach English Grammar and Spelling) and I remember going to the principal's office for some copies to give to my students,  the faces that I saw in there told me something was wrong and my mom, who worked at the school too, just looked at me and told me "The Twin Towers were attacked" I have to admit that I laughed in disbelief... She said: "Paloma, an airplane just crashed INTO one tower" I left the office not even knowing what to make of it... what was she talking about? Not the twin towers! It couldn't be! She must be wrong! Maybe is something else, an airplane? a real one? well, hopefully most people will be ok... My thoughts scrambled in my head... I remember that my students were not in the classroom anymore... we all gathered around a small TV in the cafeteria of the school where I saw that horrifying scene for the first time, I got there just in time to see the first tower collapse and everything stopped! I knew this was huge! This couldn't be happening! Did I fall asleep while I was teaching and I am having a nightmare? That had to be it... and then everything else is history... I watched it all... and then President Bush speaking... this was war!

I thought I would share about what I was doing when this tragedy that we will never forget happened... I thought I would let you know how someone from another country perceived it all...  

I thought since it's Tuesday of Quotes here at the Coffee shop I would also share some famous quotes in regards to this event that changed so many lives... and to those who lost someone in such a painful, coward act... just know that we all still think of them... And I am deeply sorry for your loss.


Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

 “Now, we have inscribed a new memory alongside those others. It’s a memory of tragedy and shock, of loss and mourning. But not only of loss and mourning. It’s also a memory of bravery and self-sacrifice, and the love that lays down its life for a friend–even a friend whose name it never knew. “
- President George W. Bush, December 11, 2001


 The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom. --Rudolph W. Giuliani. December 31, 2001.
© Paloma K.

No comments: